Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sargento Ultra Thin Slices Recipe

Back in April I was provided an opportunity to give Sargento’s new Ultra Thin Slices a try and share my thoughts about them. Influenster sent me a Voxbox that included a coupon to get one free and another to get $1 off, along with a cute lunch tote. So I picked up my cheeses and had my fun full filling the little tasks that go along with that, you can read about it here. Well, there is still fun to be had and the new challenge now is to create a recipe, using Sargento Ultra Thin Slices of course, and share that so that’s what I’m here today to do. I now provide you with pictures and recipe information for the Tortilla Egg Bake!

 photo image-1.jpg photo image.jpg photo image-2.jpg
  
I’m not the best at taking pictures but there we have the finished egg bake, the Sargento cheese I chose to use (Colby Jack, YUM!), & the slice that I then ate to try it out. I put some hot sauce on mine so that’s the bit of red sauce you see on the plate. I like things a little spicy. I thought this was great! I made it simple this time but it’s one of those recipes where you can change up the ingredients and add what you like. Next time I’ll add in some veggies to make it a little better rounded. So here we have the recipe:

TORTILLA EGG BAKE

Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Serving: 6 slices

INGREDIENTS:

½ pound meat (I used Chorizo this time)
9 Corn Tortillas
6 Eggs ¼ cup Milk
1 pkg Sargento Ultra Thin Slices (I used Colby Jack)
Seasoning of your choosing (I used salt and pepper)
Diced Veggies (not used this time but will be in the future)

8-9 Inch baking dish

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 375

If your meat option is raw then cook that as you normally would and drain if necessary. If using veggies and you can sauté them with the meat, on their own, or use them raw.

Beat the 6 eggs, ¼ cup milk, and your seasonings (1 tsp of each or more if you desire) in a medium or large bowl.

Spray or grease your baking dish then add ¼ cup of the egg mix to the bottom of the dish. What you want here is a thin layer of egg coverage on the entire bottom of your dish so if necessary add a little more. Once you have it covered then you can add your meat and veggies to the remaining egg mix and then stir it up so that everything is mixed well. You are now ready to build some layers.

You will use 3 corn tortillas for each layer, your goal being to cover as much of each layer as possible with the tortillas. How you achieve this will depend on the shape of the dish you are using. I used a square one so I cut each tortilla in half and then placed them around the edges and center to cover as much as possible.

Your first tortilla layer will be put on top of the thin layer of egg that you added to your dish. Top that with 4 slices of the cheese, again covering as much as possible. Then and ½ of your egg mixture (now including your meat and veggies) on top of the cheese. Spread it evenly. Now repeat with the next 3 corn tortillas, 4 more cheese slices and the rest of the egg mixture. Top that with the last 3 corn tortillas.

You can add 4 slices of cheese on top of the last layer of tortillas. Remember that the slices are thin so what happens is that they pretty much bake into the tortillas, giving them a cheesy flavor.

Put it in the oven for 25-30 minutes. You just want to make sure the egg is fully cooked.

Once it’s done you can add 4 more slices of cheese if you like to have that fresh melted cheese on top, which I do.  Let it sit until the cheese melts then slice it up and enjoy!



This is quick and easy and can be catered to what you and your family may enjoy in a breakfast egg bake. I usually make egg bakes with potatoes of some sort as the base but potatoes can be high calorie and pretty filling so the corn tortillas used here make this a lighter breakfast option. It can still be filling but those tortillas are much lower on the calories and they were tasty in the overall flavor palette. I will definitely make this again, most likley with another Sargento Ulta Thin cheese flavor!


#sargentoultrathin
#influenstervoxbox

0 Unleashed voices:

Total Pageviews