Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Night Demon

Night Demon (Night Series, #2)

Today my review is on Night Demon, by Lisa Kessler.  Now this book was furnished to me through Net Galley however it was actually released back in March so if the cover there alone peaks your curiosity then click on it and you too can get yourself a copy to read for under $5. With that being said this is actually book 2 in a series of 3 1/2 so far.  There is Night Walker, which is the 1st, and then Night Thief, which is 1.5.  All 3 are available now and the 4th, book 3 in the series, is still in process of being completed.

I have to admit that I'm a fan of vampires and the paranormal so this was right up my alley but had a different, unique spin from those that I've read in the past. It took me a while to get through this but not because of the content, just because I was lacking reading time. It's an interesting read that you can tell the author put a lot of time into researching and putting together in an engaging story. 

Now I haven't read the books before this but I didn't really feel like I was missing too much. I will definitely back track and read them to see what I've missed but it seems like it's a series that you can read out of order, like a lot of these paranormal series seem to work. 

The main character in this book is Lukas and he of course is the Night Walker who feels he's been tortured by being made a vampire and immortal. His mission is to find out how the ancient Mayans were able to take the life of those who were thought to be immortal. He hires an assistant, Gretchen, to help him with his research but little does she know what exactly the end results will be. As time goes on the 2 form a bond and Gretchen gets closer and closer to the answers that Lukas is looking for. In the meantime there are some ancients that have other ideas and plans for the future that will affect the 2 of them for the rest of their lives.... which of course can be forever.

Each author puts their own little spin on the vampire characters and this one is a mix of a few that I've read. There's a Twilight like moment towards the end that I'll be interested to see if the 3rd book picks up on and expands into a full story line. Other than that there are the usual bits and pieces that are similar but she's taken a nice spin with the Mayan background for this series. There is the common threat that all characters have to come together to defeat and with that bonds are strengthened and plans are changed. The last few chapters were probably my favorite part of the book.

So if you enjoy a good paranormal, vampire book that's different from the rest then check this one out for sure!

0 Unleashed voices:

Total Pageviews