Wednesday, July 4, 2012

If Only I Were Butter....

Ok, I don't really want to be butter but just imagine if I were with the heat being like it's been. I mean, we hit 100 degrees today and it was something like 78% humidity! Yeah, I see your point. If I were butter I'd be nothing but a puddle of grease, animal fat, or whatever other ingredients are up in that butter. Ok, how about if my fat were butter so as I sweat it would just be that fat melting off?? 

Alright, it's not going to work that way I know. It would be awesome though right? I mean, can't you just picture it? Anyways, we've been hot here in Minnesota. Nothing new really, we usually are this time of year. I'm glad I gave in and got a window air conditioner though cause this year I am not suffering through it like I did last year with the portable type air conditioner I had. It didn't work well at all. It may have been a defunct one cause my mom's works well be whatever... water under the bridge... or in the case of the my old portable... water all over the carpet!  LOL... I digress!

Speaking of butter. You know how there is that old war of which is better, butter or margarine? Then they have all the other versions of butters like Can't Believe it's Not Butter & such. Well, according to the Eat This Not That books I read, butter is better but there are some 'spreads' that they recommend also. I'm not a big fan of butter, thank God. I'm not one to use it much unless I'm eating corn on the cob, toast or maybe some home made popcorn:-) It's not that I don't like it but, well I don't really want to eat it unless it's melted on something cause eating it solid just weirds me out. Which basically means I don't really spread it on bread, unless it's warm bread and it will melt:-)  Anyways, here is what the book recommends for the 'healthier' choices when it comes to butter/spreads:

1) Land O'Lakes Whipped Butter (7 g, 1 Tbsp). 50 calories, 6 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 50 mg sodium. Because it's whipped there is more air introduced which makes it lighter and easier to spread.

That's the info from the book. This one I was buying and do prefer cause I always knew 'butter' was better and for everyday use I like it in bowl rather than a stick butter. This isn't so easy to spread when it's cold however and it's one that should be kept in the fridge so I tend to take it out ahead of time, if I remember, when I want to use it for spreading rather than cooking.

2) Brummel & Brown Spread (14g, 1 Tbsp). 45 calories, 5 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 90 mg sodium. This one uses yogurt instead of cream to make the final product & therefore it's one of the lowest-calorie spreads.

I haven't tried this one yet but I'm interested to see what it tastes like. I'm not a yogurt fan but when it's used as an ingredient in something I'm ok with it so once I find it in the store I may just have to give it a whirl.

3) Organic Valley Whipped Butter (7 g, 1 Tbsp). 50 calories, 6 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 40 mg sodium. Going organic can cut out the potential hormone-related risks.

I know 'organic' is the big in thing now a days but for me it's not really my focus in healthy eating yet. I don't want to shop at the pricier whole food stores and there isn't a large abundance of organic in the major grocery store usually, depends on the season I guess. Also I've read a lot about how products that say they are organic really aren't all that organic so I figure first I'll get the eating healthy down on the affordable and I'll slowly move to organic as I can but mostly in the fresh fruits and veggies more so than anything else. But, for those of you that are big on the organic... this is the butter for you:-)

4) Smart Balance buttery Spread with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (11 g, 1 Tbsp). 60 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 70 mg sodium. Studies show that the omega-3 fatty acids in this one can protect against breast, prostate, and colon cancer.

I've tried this one and it's ok. To be honest I don't really remember how the flavor was and all, or the spread factor, but I didn't continue buying it so that tells me I still preferred #1 I guess.

5) PAM Olive Oil Cooking Spray (0.3 g, one 1/4 second spray). 0 calories, 0 g fat, 0 sodium. There is technically calories from the olive oil however the impact is negligible if you are only using a light misting.

This one is what I use most often in cooking. Nice and easy, next to nothing on calories, has a good flavor... it's a staple:-)

6) Shedd's Spread Country Crock Churn Style (14 g, 1 Tbsp). 60 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 85 mg sodium. It's lighter than most "churn style" spreads.

This is the one the boyfriend prefers. I always thought it wasn't so great for ya but turns out it's not so bad. This is also the one my parents often bought when I was younger so I'm used to it and the taste is pretty good in cooking and eating on bread or whatever. It's a little easier to spread when cold than #1, which is why the boyfriend prefers it I think (he's a bigger butter eater).

There ya have it.... I wasn't sure where I was going with this blog but the better butters are what I churned out... LOL....

1 Unleashed voices:

Enz said...

I love Brummell & Brown.

Total Pageviews