Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Happiest 5K I've Experienced!


Let me just start by saying that the above picture there is from the Color Run's Facebook page but that is absolutely what it looks like in person when it's time for the color tossing. Click on that pic to go to their page if you are on Facebook and keep in touch to see if/when they are in your area cause you definitely don't want to miss out if having fun is your type of thing.

Ok, the Color Run was here in St. Paul, Minnesota on July 15th. They took over the Minnesota State Fair Grounds for the day and provided over 19,000 people with some colorful fun on a hot and steamy, but beautiful, Sunday morning. You heard that right, over 19,000 people they said. How crazy is that?? It's crazy fun that's how crazy it is:-) Here is the run down on the color run.


The packet pick up was the Friday & Saturday before the event. Smart, since there were so many people. I like when you can get that out of the way so you can be prepared. We were provided with a shirt, head band, wrist band, race bib and our own personal bag of color dust (meant to be kept for the color toss at the finish of the run). Now they had all sorts of rainbow colors and I thought I was lucky & had purple but no, no... that's magenta. So many shades so little time. There was a truer purple and had I known or realized I would have asked to swap, cause they were letting you choose your color if you wanted. Now on race day you were supposed to wear a white shirt and it didn't have to be the one they provided, in case you wanted to keep that in it's pristine condition to flaunt at a later date:-) If you click on the pic of the goodies up there then you'll be brought to the event page in Facebook, for Mn, and you can see some pictures & videos that others posted from their experience.  

Look at the droves of people in white! So many people that there were 3 official start times and each of those starts had waves of people sent off in 10-15 minute intervals. In the picture there you see those rounding the bend after the start and those heading towards their first color point. It was a 90 some degree day, the sun was high in the sky, it was hot and people were thrilled to be there. I'd have to say it's the first run where the excitement level was as high as it was, for so early in the morning. It may have had to do with the size of the crowds but I'd have to say that so far it's definitely the happiest 5K I've been part of!

Now I didn't bring a camera along cause I was worried about ruining it with the color festivities... I should have brought it! I did have my cell phone, which I was worried about too but I feel naked without it so I had it. I didn't want the battery to die so I only got a few pictures. The point of the run is to get colored of course and there are colors at every 1/4 mile or so. By the end it was 4 colors that we went through. First was orange, 2nd was pink, 3rd we had yellow and 4th was

Blue, look at it there in the distance. A cloud of blue to fulfill my dream of becoming a Smurf! I do love the Smurfs. Now with the crowds as they were and people being what they are, the color spots weren't quite as fun as they could be for those of us that aren't so aggressive. I mean, I was thinking the people spreading the color love would just be shooting it off in the air and letting the color particles fall where they may but they were shooting at individual people. Bless their hearts, they tried to get each & every person coming through but there were a lot of color greedy people that sort of hogged that experience. Sometimes people stood there to be dusted down or stopped, dropped & rolled in the color on the ground and the color points became a little congested. I, not being quite that way, ended up getting most of my color at the color tossing finale however at the blue point I did manage to get close enough to a duster that caught me so my Smurfy dreams came true!

Ok, not totally Smurf like but close:-) It was all up my arm & later I found out it was on the side of my face. The color didn't last to long on the face since I was way too hot and sweaty. Although it did stay on my temples and forehead cause I had to scrub a little later to get that off. Ok so here are a couple shots at the finish line. Not of me, just some random crowd shots:

This is right after the finish, before the color toss. The color toss was epic. There was a stage with some announcers and music. The crowd was pumped and cheering, dancing, gathering for the excitement of that color toss. They tossed out bags of color for random people to get since there were many that couldn't wait to use the color bag provided and didn't have any in the end. Rest assured, whether you had your own personal bag or not at this point you were gonna get colored! They counted down the time and everyone tossed their colors into the air and you were in this cloudy, haze of color. You couldn't see but you could feel it coming down. You didn't want to breath in too deeply or you may be spitting and blowing color for days to come. If you had breathing problems this part may have been a little tough if you weren't prepared for it cause it's millions of dust particles in the air but it was quite the experience. Of course I couldn't get pictures as I was in it, for fear of ruining my phone! So afterwards I went into the grandstand bleachers to watch for the next color toss and snap pictures of it. They were doing these about every 20-30 minutes... maybe less than that but they made sure everyone that wanted to got to participate.
There you see the crowds gathering for the next color toss, & those with me in the grandstand waiting to get pictures:-)

Now of course my pictures aren't as awesome as the one that starts out this blog, or as they could have been since my iPhone locked up on me when the toss happened. In the beginning it's awesome cause you see each individual color come up and then spread and blend... my camera caught the blending part and then the settling part. My boyfriend did the run with me and by this point he was too hot and his feet were really hurting, his shoes weren't the best for walking, so we had to head out otherwise I would have definitely stuck around for another color toss or 2 so I could get some better shots.
Being since all I had was my iPhone camera and that I don't like to be in pictures, I didn't even think to take any of myself until all was said and done and we were back to the car, ready to head home. Because of this a lot of the color was brushed of or muddled by sweat and everything so my personal pics aren't as fun as those who did capture themselves right away. 



There I am with what's left of the color. You can't really see it but my left temple was blue & the right was yellow. My forehead, under my bangs, all blue with spots of pink and I think my hair got the majority of it! Here is what the boyfriend's shirt looked like, once everything settled/muddled:

Here is what mine looked like, front & back:


Somehow that 2nd picture is sideways but you get the gist. I wore my The shirts were washed & believe it or not the color came out for the most part. Mine does still have some very light pink stains and the boyfriend's has a few light splotches. I'm not one to wear all white shirts so it's all good, it'll probably become a lazy day at home shirt:-) The sweat band they provided I wore as a headband as you see from the head shot up there and that is the one thing I am not washing so it keeps the color.



There on the left is what it looked like when I took it off. Because the color is powder I then rubbed it in well to set it so the one on the right is the final souvenir from the run... besides the shirt they provided:-)  After a little something to eat and a lot to drink it was off to the showers and I discovered:



Look, it's an ink blot butterfly!! Our team was the Ink Blots so that was what came to mind and it's shaped like a butterfly which is a symbol of transformation and that is what I'm working on for me... a transformation of the way I live, eat and breath:-) Perfect!

Because my pictures leave a lot to be desired and probably don't really convey the fun and make you want to sign up, I found this video on Youtube that may do that. It gets a little shaky in parts but shows the color points and the final color toss if you stick through it. This was a video someone here in Minnesota took as they ran it and I recognize some of the people even but didn't see me in it (thank God... LOL).  It's 4:13 minutes long so if you don't want to watch it all, at least watch the last minute for that final color toss... skip to 4:12 and Enjoy!!

 

This is a 5K I thoroughly enjoyed and will be watching for when it's coming back next year so I can sign up again! I encourage you all to experience it if/when it is in your area, or comes back if you missed it this year, you won't be sorry! I saw someone posted the other day that the Color Run isn't the happiest 5K on the planet, the one at Disney World is but I have to beg to differ on that. I haven't experienced the one at Disney World mind you but it's timed and that right there takes away some of the fun in my opinion:-) It's all a matter of opinion really in the long run however so check it out & the Disney one too if you have that luxury and let me know what you think:-)
My next 5K is a virtual one that Julie is putting on click on the image below to check that out! 


 

My next non-virtual 5K is Challenge Cancer on 7/28, as always I'm counting down the days on my ticker over in the right column of my blog:-)

3 Unleashed voices:

Debsdailylife said...

That is so awesome!!! I definately will do one!!!

Julie said...

19,000 people. WOW, that's more then I could even begin to handle but it really looks like fun. I really love all those colors.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Take care and have a blessed evening!

Shannon said...

I can't wait for the one in September that I am registered for!!!! :)

Shannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

Total Pageviews