Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wirscht Comes to Worse... WTF!


Jenny Matlock


Remember the meals you used to have at home when you were growing up? Do you ever feel like you just can't make them like mom or dad used to make? Are there favorites you had that are unique or everyday comfort type foods that now a days when you eat them they just aren't quite the same? That's what I find now a days, now that I'm older and now that food or the ingredients seem to be more and more processed and less natural.... or something. I also get the line from my mom, when I ask her for the recipe for something I recall loving when I was growing up, "That's poor people food! I only made it cause we couldn't afford more." WTF??? I liked it, I don't care why we ate it!  LOL!  

Ok, I'm going off topic here. So today the letter is W and that's going to bring us Wirscht Salad. WTF is that you say?? Or do you know? I grew up with it as a kid cause my mom made it all the time. Now last week was V and I gave you all sorts of ideas for veggie salads with vinegar well Wirscht Salad my friends is similar to that, it's chopped up meat with vinegar, water and onions. Sounds gross or weird right? Yeah well check this out:



Looks like chopped up bologna right? LMAO!  Well that's cause that's what it is. Now first of all this is what I mean by things just not being the same as when we are young because back then when mom made this she used ring bologna. She's German and they made this there in Germany all the time with their fresh sausages and such that were similar to America's ring bologna. Well now she uses just regular sandwich bologna... WTF!?!?!  Talk about poor people's food! OK, so bologna isn't cheap really but come on.... there are better meat options mom! I have to say it's rather nasty because it's very greasy/fatty and the vinegar draws all that out and... BLECH! As a kid when it was ring bologna it was much better, there wasn't all that fat and trust me... it was a tasty summer meal. Yeah so this Wirscht Salad just isn't one of those meals from my childhood that I want to relive since it's not the same. I told mom the other day that this is no Wirscht Salad, it's Wirscht comes to Worst. She just laughs cause she thinks I'm crazy... I don't argue, she's probably right:-)

So no recipes for you to try this week my friends unless you'd like to give Wirscht Salad a try that is. I'd understand if you would like to pass on this one but should you be courageous I recommend finding a nice ring bologna, the more natural you can get the better... if there is such a thing, I really don't even know anymore. 

14 Unleashed voices:

Annesphamily said...

I am finding some unique posts today! Thanks for sharing. I still love beef bologna but only occasionally. Enjoy your weekend!

Vicki/Jake said...

I'm laughing! I remember the poor people food of my own kidhood...and beyond. Ya, like bologna and spam and canned potatoes!... meh..gagamagot stuff:) But when you're a kid, and hungry, this stuff is heavenly. Funny how things never taste the same again though. I got brave a few months ago and bought a can of spam after 100 years of not eating it, just to taste it again. meh! NOT! My old dad still buys canned potatoes:) Thanks for the giggles..

JDaniel4's Mom said...

My mom loves bologna. She bought it all the time when I was little.

Tracy said...

Ready Brek is my Fall back comfort food

Sue said...

We ate some pretty interesting stuff, too, but I think this wirscht salad equals or tops anything my mom came up with!

In a way, though, it sounds kinda good...with the unfatty meat, that is...

=)

Judie said...

We never had anything like wirscht salad when I was a kid. I have to tell you that it doesn't look particularly appetizing to me. My mother did make some pretty strange concoctions, however, but not any I would care to copy today.

anitamombanita said...

Hmmm. We've been roughing it in Patagonia. And they say that when you're camping almost anything tastes better. Somehow the idea of bologna salad just doesn't hit it with me... even camping. :) Have a great week.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

My Mom made bologna salad from my grandfather's homemade bologna. She was German also. I loved it as a kid and if I could find real bologna somewhere I'd still make it!

This, however, well no offense, but I think I'll pass!

xxoo,

RMW

Julie said...

Spam, that was what my mom used in so many different things. It is not my favorite at all but I will say camping, fried on the grate of the fire...well all you taste is the burnt stuff but I do have to say I'd rather have that then that bologna salad. Thanks for sharing and remembering.
Take care and have a blessed weekend!!

Maren said...

That is a very weird looking dish! I'd definitely try it though :D

NanE said...

LOL, I actually like Ring Bologna! I think it is Boars Head that makes a pretty good one. Oh and one reason potato salads, macaroni salads etc don't taste the same as when we were kids is because they have removed a lot of the trans fats etc.

Braggin' Rights Bath & Spa said...

haha- yea, kinda odd some of the meals that we had as kids... Thanks for sharing, brought back some nostalgia...

Cheryl D. said...

Looks good!

Jenny said...

I love memories like this...

My mother makes the best tapioca and no matter how many times I try... IT NEVER TURNS OUT LIKE HERS!

It is a bit frustrating... ((winkwink))

Wonderful post for the letter W.

Thanks for linking.

A+

Total Pageviews