Thursday, April 12, 2012

From Ugli to Unique

Jenny Matlock

This week brings us to U my friends and I was having a hard time coming up with recipes for U that didn't just have U words in them like 'ultimate', 'unbelievable', 'utopian', 'unique', 'unlimited', etc.  There just aren't that many foods that start with U.  So with that being said all I have this time, recipe wise, is a juice made with the delicious Ugli fruit:-)

What is ugli fruit you ask?  Ok, maybe you know and aren't asking or maybe you just don't care but I'm going to share anyway.  It's a citrus fruit.  It's very juicy, very!  They can be found in Jamaica, which I so love to visit so I have been able to try them straight from the tree:-)  If you click on the name back there you'll be taken to the wiki page that gives a little info but it's short and sweet.  Basically they look like a irregular, unripe, ugly grapefruit or large orange and they are juicier than either with a flavor more on the sweet and sometimes tangy rather than that of a grapefruit, which is more bitter.  The skin around the pulp is a little tougher to chew than that of an orange so I normally just try to get at all the juice and pulp & leave that membranous (I know that's not a word but I'm using it) covering behind:-)

Here are a few pictures I took of one that I enjoyed:





Now since they are so juice I figured hey.... let's add it to some juice.  I just mixed it with some cucumber, beets, carrots, and yep it was yummy in that also.  





Beets always give juices that great color:-)  It's a combo I make often with lemon rather than the ugli fruit but with ugli fruit it's just as good.  Ok, maybe not just... I miss that lemon flavor that is more acidic and cuts the beet flavor a little more than the ugli fruit does on its own I guess... LOL!  

Ok, I decided to also share my unique find.  I often watch the cooking channel and once in a while they use dragon fruit in things.  It always looks so yummy that I want to try it but living in the Midwest we don't really find it in our local grocery stores.  Well low and behold, the Asian markets do stock it when it's in season and I was able to find some!!  I love it!  It's a unique looking fruit, grows on cactus like plant, and sort of has a kiwi/pear flavor.  







11 Unleashed voices:

Judie said...

I have always wondered what those two tasted like! Now I am definitely going to pick some up at the store!! Thanks for letting me know about your post being up. This was both "ugli and unique," and your photos are great!

Jenn said...

Thanks for the informative post! I just got myself a juicer...now I might have to pick up some Ugli! lol

Jillian said...

I have never ever even heard of that fruit. I live in a food bubble, pretty much. I bought some pears at the store and I was proud of myself ( I don't think I've ever eaten a pear that I didn't get out of a can...). I'm glad I have your blog to go back to when I decide to try new foods. Thanks for always posting them!

PlumPetals said...

Very cool! New fruits to try :)

VBR said...

Well I just have to say, I love this post for letter U. It is great to read and see new things. Dragon fruit~ I had heard of it but had no idea what it looked like! Great post!

Bluezy said...

Great post. Ugly and unique they truly are. Love the beet color result!

Princess Dieter said...

I never tried either ugli fruit or dragonfruit. But now, I must say, I'm curious. We should always try new healthful stuff, right? :D

beckyp said...

I have never heard of dragon fruit but I have heard of ugli fruit but havent tries it Great u post

Maren said...

I've tried that last one, and it's sort of bland but also nice? UGLY looks cool :D

Julie said...

I don't think I've ever seen dragon fruit but I sure do love Ugli fruit. We don't get a lot of variety up here.
Thanks for sharing.
Take care and God Bless!!

Jenny said...

This is a very Unique recipe...

Unbelievable job!

A+

Total Pageviews