Thursday, March 8, 2012

P is for Plenty

Jenny Matlock

So today the letter is P and it made me think of Mr. Popper's Penguins.  Have you seen it?  It wasn't too bad actually.  I bring it up simply because Mr. Poppers assistant's name is Pippy and she talks in this tongue twister like way where just about every word begins with P.  I was pretty interesting to see what she would come up with each time, you should check it out.  

Anyways, that's not what I came to blog about today cause my theme is recipes!  So I made a few easy ones this week, let's get this party started!

First on the list is Petite Pizza:-)  



There are 2 of them there and they were tasty!  These are easy peesy, can be catered towards the individual and fun for kids and adults alike.  I used some low fat wheat tortillas as the crust.  Yes, that makes these some mighty thin crust pizzas but you can roll them when you eat them if you'd like.. I don't mind the thin crust.  On that I spread some tomato sauce.  You can use any kind, make your own mix or buy a jar of pizza sauce.  Then simply top it with your favorite toppings.  For these I used chopped jalapeno, mushrooms, turkey pepperoni (on one), turkey sausage (on the other) and a low fat Italian cheese blend.  Delish!

Next I made a couple juices.  Pineapple, Yellow Plum, strawberry, mango and lemon made this love pink drinky drink:


I kept 1/2 as that and then to the other 1/2 I added cucumber, carrots, celery, and beet so that I had a dessert drink and then this mixed one:


Ok, it's juice and not really P related but there were some P ingredients so there:-)  


Last but not least is the Protein Pancake I've had on my list to make!  So good, healthy, and filling. Here's what you need:


1/2 Cup of oats
1/2 Cup cottage cheese
1/4 Cup egg whites or 1 egg
2 Tbsp hemp/flax seed
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 Tsp almond or coconut extract


Put all those ingredients in a food processor and blend until pancake batter like consistency.  Next take a small pan, heated with a little Pam sprayed in just in case.  Spoon in the batter and spread it out to the size you want.  I had a small pan that was the perfect size to I spread it to fill the pan:



The batter is enough to make 2 good sized pancakes.  If you want you can make 1 large one or several smaller ones than pictured above.  These pancakes turn out pretty thick but if you make them in a large enough pan with space you can thin it out more or you can make them smaller and thin then out also I suppose.  Cook it on 1 side then flip to the other and cook.  They cook pretty quickly so mine got a little brown but I did put a little extra cinnamon in so a lot of that brown is from that cause they didn't taste burned:


Now you can top these how ever you'd like but since they are meant to be healthy it would be a shame to slather them in butter and sugary syrup!  When a friend made them and let me try she topped them with some pomegranate and blueberries with a dollop of Greek yogurt.  That was good.  I chose to make a topping with strawberries, a little light vanilla yogurt, and some fresh squeezed orange juice.  So good!  


I even had extra topping that I put in the freezer for a nice little treat another day:-)

So there ya have it.... P's a plenty, hope you enjoyed.... and hope you try some and enjoy:-)





8 Unleashed voices:

bluegrassnotes said...

Yum, lots of those look good. I'm especially interested in the drink that had beets in it -- always looking for delicious ways to get more veggies...

Jo said...

mmm, i love little homemade pizza's and pancakes ... and your drinks sound delish!!!

Cathy Kennedy said...

We love pizza! Unforunately, I don't make home-made pizza too often as it's so time consuming. There for awhile I made flaxseed pizza crust for myself, but I haven't done that in some time. I really need to get back into doing this, though. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us!

Sue said...

That pancake looks interesting...and healthy!

=)

Judie said...

Rod's on his way out to get us a Papa Murphey's pizza, but now I see I can do the same thing with those w/w tortillas!! Thanks!!!!

Ali Mc said...

great eats! at first I thought that red drink might be blood and you were really a vampire. I'm glad I kept reading on ;)

anitamombanita said...

homemade pizza is wonderful and those pancakes look pretty tempting.

Jenny said...

Pizza is always particularly hard for me to resist!

I think you can definitely make it healthy with a little attention to detail!

Thanks for another delicious link for the letter 'P'.

A+

Total Pageviews