Wednesday, February 22, 2012

N is for.....

Jenny Matlock


I had a hard time with the letter N for this week.  I couldn't find any recipes and finally just went with the Navy Bean Soup recipe in my New Complete Cookbook from Weight Watchers.  


I've never had Navy Bean Soup and I have to say that I didn't care for this one but it may be due to the rosemary.  I knew I should have put way less of that in there cause I never really care for it in recipes.  Anyways here's the recipe, since I don't have a link to it:


2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt


In a large nonstick saucepan, heat the oil and saute the garlic until fragrant.  Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, rosemary and pepper, then add the broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes then cool slightly.  With a slotted spoon, transfer about 3 cups of the soup to a blender or food processor; puree, then return to the saucepan.  Add the salt and heat to serving temperature.  


Here's what I got:


I didn't care for it so I didn't eat it.  I decided to freeze it and figured that next week I'll use it for a base to a vegetable soup that I plan to make.  That way all that rosemary will be spread out amongst a much bigger batch of soup with a lot more ingredients and maybe tame it down some after cooking in a crock pot all day:-)


So I ended up eating a frozen meal tonight and then thought I'd get creative and make fruit nachos so that I had a N recipe that was a little more successful!  I totally made this up and here is what I used, amounts not included cause that's up to you really:


Banana chips
Strawberries
Kiwi
Blackberries
Blueberries
Mango
Lemon juice
Greek yogurt


These were much better than the soup:-)  Yogurt was the sour cream & the salsa there is just a little of all the fruit pureed with some lemon juice.  The banana chips of course are the base of the nachos & then strawberries, kiwi and blackberries are the toppings with shredded mango (as the cheese... LOL).  A little messy to eat but they were good and the chips don't get soggy quite as quickly as regular nacho chips do... LOL!  These is a fun little whimsical sort of snack that kids would even love and you can use pretty much anything you want.  I was even going to use apple crisps as the chips but I didn't find any at the grocery store today.  They may have worked a little better cause they are usually bigger than the banana chips but not quite as thick.  It'll be fun to try different variations for sure.


After that I had some extra fruit and yogurt so I blended that all up to make this NUMMY smoothie that I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning:


So all in all tonight's experience ended on a good note and I have the start of a soup that should turn out to be great once I get some more ingredients added in to it:-)  I also got to use more of the lovely lemons that I won from Jenny.... in the fruit salsa, the smoothie and the soup base so win/win!

10 Unleashed voices:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Fruit nachos look great!
I like rosemary but that does seem like a lot. Probably 1/4 the amount would do. good idea to use it for a base.

Jenny Schouten Short said...

The soup...add 1 can stewed tomatoes, basil, oregano, shell pasta, spinach, kidney beans and you'll have Italian minestroni soup. xo Jenny

Judie said...

I have given up sour cream for that nice thick Greek yogurt in recipes and no one can tell the difference. The soup will taste great with lots of veggies, I bet! Your fruit nachos sound divine!!

anitamombanita said...

Thick greek yogurt. Yum. I was introduced to it in Crete back in the late 80s. Sorry that the soup didn't turn out good because navy bean soup can be really wonderful with the right other ingredients. The nachos look fun, tho, so good "save"!

If you ever need another N recipe, try Nanaimo Bars...yummy, not necessarily healthy...just google it. It's a Canadian fave...

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love rosemary, so I may give this a try and just cut back a little on it!

Thanks for sharing...

Sue said...

I love navy bean soup but would leave out the rosemary if I made it. I only like rosemary on chicken and (occasionally) potatoes.

=)

☆☆Mumsy said...

You've just given me an idea for lunch tomorrow. Fruit Nachos...Sound mouth-watering to me!

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

So Navy,Nachos and Nummy? guess it wasnt that hard to find. Especially when you make the words up :p Love you hon

Ames said...

I sure ate a lot of Navy beans growing up. But not a lot of Rosemary. I now grow my own and mostly use it to roast veggies in the oven. ~Ames

Jenny said...

A little rosemary does go a long way...

I think it's a really Neat idea to use the Navy Bean Soup as a base for the vegetable soup...

I have Never tried Fruit Nachos but this recipe sounds fabulous... I am definitely going to try these...

Nummy post for the letter "N"!

Thanks for linking.

A+

Total Pageviews