Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mexican Fiesta.... Ole!

Jenny Matlock
 
So today my friends we are here to celebrate the letter M and since I was off of work it was a Mexican Fiesta of sorts at my house.  Well, not really... just food wise:-)  We had Mexican Crock pot Chicken for lunch and Mexican Baked Quinoa and Mexican Meatloaf for dinner.  It was all very yummy!
 
The Mexican Crock pot Chicken was excellent and very simple to make.  Since I was having it for lunch I just put it together the night before and let it cook overnight.  It smelled amazing!  I cooked it on low and you could smell it an hour or 2 in, I had to double check to make sure it was really on low.  All I had to do was put some chicken breast in the crock pot and then pour in a can of black beans, chili beans, chilies, a can of diced tomatoes and a package of taco seasoning.  The recipe says to add black olives too but I left those out cause I don't care for them.  In the morning I shredded up the chicken and let it cook until lunch time.  Here's what we got:


Looks almost like a chili.  You just scoop some on a taco shell or eat it with tortilla chips, according to the recipe.  I put it on a soft shell but unfortunately I accidentally deleted the picture thinking it was downloaded already.  I was very yummy, I suggest you try this one for sure!  There is plenty of leftovers so I will be trying this as a taco salad mix for another meal.

For dinner I went with the Mexican Meatloaf and Mexican Quinoa.  Mexican rice is a popularity but it never seems to have enough flavor for me and so I was going to make a flavorful one until I came across the quinoa recipe.  It's a much healthier grain so I figured why not give it a try?  Both of these recipes were great but I think the meatloaf could use a little more tomato sauce cause it seemed a little dry to me.  My mom, boyfriend and sister thought it was great though.  For some reason I couldn't get the cheese on top to melt however so the pictures may not do it justice but here are both dishes:


The recipes for these looked like they would be a little difficult, but they were rather simple.  The quinoa was very tasty and the meatloaf was good.  I added taco sauce to both for a little extra kick and eating the quinoa with the meatloaf made for a very tasty bite.  There was also plenty of leftovers with this meal since the meatloaf recipe made 2.  I was going to cut it in half but I figured just go with it.  

I was thinking that it would be awesome with some fresh made pico de gallo to add on top of it all!  Since I do have leftovers maybe I'll check into giving that a try:-)  Until then here is what dinner looked like, that picture I did download:

14 Unleashed voices:

Jenny said...

Accckkk!!!!

I haven't had lunch and now I'm totally starving. I'm really interested in the quinoa recipe...I've not seen that one before!

Thanks for sharing your magical Mexican fiesta for the letter "M" this week.

I could definitely munch on all these dishes!

A+

Carbie Girl said...

mMmmmmm... I've never been a fan of meatloaf but i would definitely try the quinoa and the chili! I seriously need to get myself a crockpot!

LceeL said...

Nice. Now I'm hungry. I really need some homemade tamales.

Maren said...

Oh holy cow that looks so delicious!

Julie said...

I've been wanting chili for ages. Now I'm going to have to make it.
Thanks for sharing. Blessings!!

jen said...

I am going to pin your crock pot recipe. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing it. My kids will thank you as well.

Annesphamily said...

Wonderful recipes! I have always used my crock pot cookbook to find yummy recipes! I like the AT post! Thanks for sharing.

Splendid Little Stars said...

a veritable feast! I love Mexican! good idea to try quinoa.

beckyp said...

I just pinned your recipe so i have a copy Sounds delish

R1 said...

Wow...love to try one someday. I hope you could give me the details of how to cook this recipe, but i have to get one crock pot first (lol)...Have a great weekend ahed!

anitamombanita said...

hungry!!!

Summer Rain said...

yummy...

Thanks for the treat.

Esther Joy said...

Mexican food is one of my favorites. I guess I like "Tex-Mex" style about the best.

Miss April said...

I like quinoa! it's so hearty and filling.

Total Pageviews