Thursday, January 19, 2012

Italian Night

Jenny Matlock
 
I have whipped up some Italian goodness in my kitchen today for dinner and I'll be sharing it with ya here since we are on the letter I this week:-)
 
I've tried brussel sprouts a few times now, mostly frozen but more recently I had some fresh ones.  I have to say that I always think the frozen ones taste like they are dirty.  They are like little tiny cabbage or lettuce heads that someone froze before thoroughly washing them or something... LOL!  So recently I tried fresh ones and they were oh so better!!  No dirty taste at all!  I'll have to buy them fresh more often but in the meantime I have some frozen ones to finish up and tonight I made some Italian Brussel Sprouts:
 
 
Now these are frozen so they don't look the greatest cause they do get a little softer than the fresh ones do when you cook them up.  Basically all I did here was boil them, strain them and then added 2 tbsps of fat free Italian dressing and 2 tsps of Parmesan cheese.  Mixed them babies up and chomped away.  They weren't bad but they did still have that dirty taste.  I'll have to try it with the fresh ones for sure.  This is another recipe I found on Sparkrecipes, gotta love them when you're just looking for something quick:-)
 
Ok, that recipe was made on a whim.  The main course was Italian Sausage and Vegetable Stew.  This was delish!  This recipe came from a Pillsbury book called Lotsa Pasta!  It's one of those cheap little books you find in the grocery store by the registers and magazines.  It's from 1999 however so I'm not sure if you'll still find it out there... LOL!  So I'll pass on the recipe here:
 
1 lb bulk turkey or regular Italian sausage
2 (14.5 oz) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1 (9 oz) pkg. frozen corn
1 small zucchini, sliced
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
3 oz (3/4 cup) uncooked small shell pasta
 
In a dutch oven, cook sausage until browned, drain.
 
Add all remaining ingredients except pasta.  Bring to a boil.  Add pasta; cook over medium heat for 15 to 18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
 
That's all there is too it, when it's done it looks like this:
 

Ok, first I must confess that I used medium whole wheat pasta shells rather than small ones.  They didn't have small wheat ones at the grocery store and I wanted to go a little healthier:-)  I also put in and extra tossed in a little extra pasta cause I didn't want it to be too soup like.  I went with almost double on the pasta.  I didn't have Italian stewed tomatoes, just plain ones, so I added in Italian seasoning along with garlic & onion powder to jazz those maters up:-)  I sliced the zucchini real thin like in the food processor so you couldn't even tell it was in there... for those of you who aren't veggie fans:-)  This was easy and awesome and definitely one to add to the 'must make again' list!  Yum....




 
 


13 Unleashed voices:

Actually Mummy said...

Oooh nice way to eat what is essentially a tiny strong flavoured cabbage! Don't really like them, always put bacon and white wine with them for Christmas, but this looks absolutely palatable!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Italian Brussel Sprouts...mmm, this could be good. I shall have to try this and your soup looks so inviting. May I have a bowl, please? With soup, of course. =D

Gattina said...

My Italian husband didn't know about Italian Brussels' sprouts, lol and on top we live in Brussels !

Sue said...

I love 'em!

=)

Judie said...

Rod doesn't like Brussels sprouts, but I do have some in the freezer. Maybe he would eat them YOUR way!!

anitamombanita said...

good ol' brussels...another super easy but yummy variation...toss some fresh ones with some sliced onions, a little garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil and balsamic. Throw em into an iron skillet and into the oven...they get crispy around the edges... when they're done you can eat em just like that or throw some fresh parmesan on top... mmm mmm good and good for ya!

Maren said...

Mmmm, I am drooling!

jeannette said...

I have a great recipe from foodnetwork.com of Roasted Brussels Sprouts, with bacon, and has recently become my favorite winter veg. with potatoes and sausage -really yummy!

Jann Olson said...

I love all veggies, at least I thought. My mom use to cook brussel sprouts and I never really cared for them. I haven't tried them in years. I think I may have to give this a whirl. Looks pretty darn tasty!

storybeader said...

great effort there! looks delicious! {:-Deb

Stormy@Big Butt Theory said...

Yumm..... Looks super yummy!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This really looks delicious. I like the substitutions that you made.

Jenny said...

I would totally try that recipe with fresh brussels. Everyone says they are wonderful roasted, but I've not tried that yet either!

Thanks for an inviting post for the letter "I".

I love all the recipe inspiration I find here!

A+

Total Pageviews