Thursday, January 5, 2012

Garlicky Goodness

Jenny Matlock
 

Our beloved Alphabe-Thursday has returned after a little holiday hiatus and we our now on G my friends.  My G recipe this week is Garlicky Pork with Basil.  I do adore me some garlic!

This recipe comes from Betty Crocker's Low Fat Low Cholesterol Cookbook.  It was pretty simple and pretty tasty.  I don't usually have a lot of luck when I cook pork but this worked well:-)  I'll share the recipe here...

3/4 pound lean pork tenderloin
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tblsp plus 1 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (Cayenne)
4 cloves garlic, crushed 

Trim the fat from the tenderloin and then cut it into 8 pieces.  It says to use 3/4 of it but I just used the whole thing & cut it into a few extra pieces.  You are supposed to then flatten each piece to 1/4 inch thickness.  Yeah, that I didn't have luck with so mine is a little on the chunky side:-)  You cook the pork in the oil over a medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, turning once, until brown.  Then stir in the remaining ingredients.  I used olive oil rather than vegetable and of course more garlic:-)  I used less basil but only because I read the recipe wrong & only used 1 tsp.  I do have to say that was enough for me though on that spice.  You mix all that up and then heat until it comes to a boil.  Once it does you reduce the heat, cover & simmer for about 5 minutes or until the pork is done.

This came out pretty flavorful and because I was limited on time I just heated up some sweet potato tots and broccoli & cheese to go with it.  Here are the pics...


I'm using some left over paper plates from Christmas there... saving on some dish washing time too... LOL!  There is a plate as a whole & then an up close pic of the pork.  It was quite tasty.  This is definitely a keeper recipe, quick and easy and can be paired with many a side dish or even flavored with many a different spice!



20 Unleashed voices:

Monicalatour said...

Wow looks great, I really need to try to make some new Dishes, Im just always scared it will come out "Bad" and being on such a budget it sucks to throw away food lol

Maren said...

Oh that looks just delicious! I'm all for trying as many new recipes as possible (healthy ones of course), that makes it easier sticking to my plan :)

Angela Pea said...

Yum....I like garlic, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

criticalcrass said...

visiting from jenny's!

beckyp said...

looks yummy thanks for sharing

Erika said...

Sounds like it was yummy. And I really do enjoy sweet potato tots and fries!

Thank you for visiting and good luck with the training program for the 5K!

ellen b. said...

That garlicky goodness looks real good! :0)

Judie said...

Sounds totaly delicious! I have never heard of sweet potato tots, and I am definitely going to check them out! I LOVE garlic!!

anitamombanita said...

I do love me some garlic too AND sweet potato tots, fries or any other form. Yum!

taylorsoutback said...

Garlic is good for you too! The pork dish looks tasty.

Interesting info about the cinnamon...now I know it will be good for me when I eat a sweet roll
:o) Oh how I wish...

Karen S. said...

Oh gosh...good gracious! Another recipe I just am gonna have to try! thanks!

Blog Wobble said...

Anything with garlic and I am so there! Looks delish :)

Neabear said...

This looks good, but I would have to leave the cayenne pepper out as I am allergic to that. Thanks for coming by my post. I just recently found out about pommelos at work. A gal there brings them. I have not tasted one yet though. Guess I should.

Have a good weekend!

~Linnea

Lavender Cottage said...

Yummy recipe, garlic is added to everything I can at our house.

hurtlingtowards60 said...

Recipes all made a note of - thats the next two Saturday evening meals sorted.

BTW thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Ronnie@hurtledto60

Wanda said...

Pork tenderloin is one of my favorite starting places for a meal. I made this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-marinated-pork-tenderloins-recipe/index.html) for New Year's Day, and it was fabulous! The only bad thing was the mess searing the meat made on the stove top, but even that was worth it.

lv2 said...

looks good....i've got some pork tenderlion in the freezer and some sweet potatoes...so it may be dinner this weekend. Thanks

Vicki/Jake said...

YUM! I just made a pork tenderloin the other day. Next time I'll use this recipe.. And find sweet tater tots:)

Jo said...

Oh this looks just yummy ... i think i will try it this week!

Jenny said...

Sweet potato tots?

Where do you find something like that?

Could you e-mail that to me...I think we would love those! (jennymatlock at cox dot net)

Thanks for another great gastronimical link to Alphabe-Thursday!

A+

Total Pageviews