Thursday, December 8, 2011

Eggplant Reprise... Surprise... Prize Potential

Jenny Matlock
 

Plugging right along in the weekly alphabet blog, we are at E and today ladies and gentlemen E is for Eggplant... reprise!

Yes, I've written about eggplant in the past but that was totally different than now:-)  I mean, back then I was making fun of it.... in a fun kinda way, see E is for Eggplant if you want to check that out.  This time I figured I would cook some up for eating purposes so that's what I'll share with ya today.

I am still however puzzled by the fact that it's called an eggplant cause to me it really doesn't look like an egg at all.


The color, the look, the feel, the outside, the inside, the taste, the texture... I could go on and on... nothing about it reminds me of an egg.  Ok, there are some types that may resemble an egg but not that one.  Did you know that it's actually considered to be a berry?  Surprise, tis true I tell ya, you can read about eggplants on Wikipedia, here's a link to check out!  Anyways, I didn't cook that one there cause when I cut it open it didn't look so healthy.  Sort of brown and suspicious, which is always annoying I must say!  Luckily I had another that looked ok so that I could make Stuffed Eggplant!

I'll have to find the link to the recipe again.  I got it off the internet but I can't remember where it came from.  Here are some pictures:



There we've got the before cooking, after cooking, and getting ready to dive in pictures:-)  Now I've not eaten eggplant a lot, I could probably count the number of times on 1 hand.  Usually it's been fried or in a ratatouille that my friend's Turkish mother made (which was delish!).  Whether I did things right or not I'm not sure but I must say that the filling could have used less bread crumbs, or none at all because that made for a weird, mushy consistency that I really didn't enjoy.  Other than that it was good and I may try it again just to see if I can make it better next time... or use a different recipe to change it up some.

Since I don't have the recipe link for ya right now, or the recipe on me, I'll give ya a little info on what I remember putting in it:-) 

1 large eggplant or 2 small
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup onion
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Geez, I remembered better than I thought I would... LOL! 

Ok, so it said to cut the eggplant in half (lengthwise) and then put into boiling water (covering about 3/4 of the eggplant) until tender, about 15 minutes or so. 

While that's cooking you cook up the Italian sausage with the onion, garlic & oil.  Now the recipe never said where the Italian seasoning came in so I added that in the meat mix as I cooked it up.  Of course I put the onion & garlic in the food processor to make it more of a puree rather than chunky:-) 

Once the meat is browned you add in the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and the recipe didn't say where the mushroom came in so I added them at this point also.  You cook that on low as you wait for the eggplant. 

Once the eggplant is done you hollow out the center & chop that up & add it to the meat mixture along with 1/2 a cup of the marinara.  Cook that meat mixture for a couple minutes & then spoon it into the eggplant. 

Once that's done you top it with the rest of the marinara and mozzarella cheese. Then you bake it at 350 for about 35 minutes.

That's pretty much that and this one wasn't a prize but has potential.  I can't help but wonder if the recipe was missing some ingredients or directions, well other than those I noticed were missing that is.... LOL!  It wasn't bad but it could use some improvement.  The ingredients were tasty though so maybe I'll keep it and work with it to get it to where my picky self likes it:-) 

Now to try eggplant in other ways I guess.... incorporate it more.  It is purple and I love me some purple!

11 Unleashed voices:

Sue said...

I'm not a big fan of eggplant, but when it's cooked right and covered with lots of cheese and tomato sauce in eggplant parmesan, it can taste pretty good.

I've never been successful with it, though.

"/

anitamombanita said...

I wasn't always but now I'm an egg-plant enthusiast. It only takes eating it properly prepared once to become a convert!!

Lola said...

Superb ‘E’ post – I've always love eggplant!

Have a great weekend,

Here’s mine

beckyp said...

The only time I have eaten eggplant was when i was a kid. My dad used to bread it and then fry it in a ton of butter. I think I liked it

Judie said...

I love eggplant every possible way it is cooked. My grandmother made the best eggplant casserole. I wish I had her recipe, but unfortunately it was lost. I also love to grill eggplant.

Stormy@Big Butt Theory said...

I dont eat eggplant but I admire you resolve to try to make it!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Yum! I love eggplant!!

Emille said...

All the dishes I know with eggplant in it, are great:)

Andy said...

Hello.
I love eggplant, but if you don't cook it right, it can taste bitter. My wife calls it aubergine (she's from the UK, that's probably the correct name for it too).
Excellent presentation!
Thanks for sharing.

For ref:
Eleven Roses And You

Julie said...

What does it taste like. I have never had it and am curious. I don't want to buyu it if it taste like peas or brussle sprouts, not my favorite veggies at all. Now if it could taste like squash or something like that I'd give it a whirl.
I hope you have an excellent weekend. We'll be so warm this weekend, I love it!!
Take care and have a blessed day!!

Jenny said...

I love eggplant...roasted crispy with tomatoes and garlic!

Delicious.

Thanks for an elegant eggplant recipe! You made me hungry for lunch!

A+

Total Pageviews