Thursday, September 15, 2011

V is for Vindaloo

Jenny Matlock
 

I've decided to use today's blog as a learning experience.  You know when you have those thoughts where you wonder what something is or what it means and you make a mental note to yourself that you should look into that sometime?  It's not only me that has those moments and then never finds the time is it?  Well I have them all the time but rarely do I actually remember to follow through.  Well today I can do so with my blog for V cause today it's for Vindaloo:-)

I know that it's an Indian food and probably spicy but I've always wondered what was in it and if I may like it so I can give it a try.  I don't think I've even eaten Indian food.  So I go the the easiest place to check it out, Wikipedia!  I then also checked a few other places cause Wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source:-)

It is made in India but Vindaloo is actually a modified Portuguese dish called Carne de Vinha d' Alhos, which means meat of wine garlic.  Mumbai then altered the dish by using vinegar instead of wine and red kashmir chillies then the Goa region of India took the idea and they added curry, plenty of spices and they used palm vinegar. The name Vindaloo came from the Portuguese word for vinegar, Vin, and garlic, Alho... both ingredients that I adore!

The dish usually has chicken, lamb or pork with potatoes.  It is said that the potatoes were used to make it more hearty because lamb is expensive in India.  Sounds like what my mom used to do when she made stew, more potatoes than meat... LOL!  Good think I love potatoes.  I'm thinking this vindaloo stuff is sounding pretty tasty!  I need to find me a restaurant to give it a whirl now... or try a recipe and make it myself. 



Looks yummy right??  Click on the picture for a recipe... maybe someday I'll get the nerve to try to make it, I think I should have it in a restaurant first though so I know what it 'should' taste like!  LOL!!

So, have you had Vindaloo?  Did you like it?  What other Indian food do you enjoy?

15 Unleashed voices:

Gattina said...

I don't know this plate, but it looks and sounds delicious !

jfb57 said...

My husband will occasionally go for one of those. He is very entertaining to watch as the sweat pours down his face! Great 'V' post!

Stacia said...

Thanks for the culinary education. Now I want some Indian food! Yum! =>

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This really looks wonderful! It would clear up our drippy noses too.

Miss April said...

The food looks delish! I try all different things when at restaraunts, don't know that I've had this though.

I am ALWAYS making notes to look something up, but they're not always mental notes! I have a little black book I keep in my purse and if someone mentions an interesting book, says a word that I can't quite figure out by context, an interesting film or documentary or something else - I write it down. My little black book is in sections, some just for definitions, movies, book, authors, actors, vacation spots etc.. I have full lists in each and the ones I've looked up, I highlight across. I'm a maniac, it's true!

Jo said...

Looks delish,try it and let us know.
~JO

Sue said...

My son loves Indian food. I'm still working on liking more of the dishes.

=)

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

Do they have steak at indian restaraunts? jk sounds good but totally not a fan of spicy curry

JennieB said...

I looove Indian food. Vindaloo is good. I usually get lamb, and it can be quite spicy.

If you want a gentler introduction to Indian food, try Chicken Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken (very similar dishes).

H said...

Vindaloo is waaaaaay too hot for me! The hottest I can cope with is a Madras and even they are a struggle. I usually choose something milder like a Bhuna or Rogan Josh. Masala, Korma and Kashmiri are gentle with a creamy sweetness. They're good to start on.

Judie said...

I love hot spicy food, and vindaloo is soooo delicious! You've just got to try it!

Dazee Dreamer said...

that actually looks and sounds good. I've had some Indian food and rather enjoyed it.

Be brave, try it.

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Now I'm hungry. I just recently was introduced to Indian food and the milder dishes I absolutely love.
Dana

Vicki/Jake said...

WAAAAYYYY too much spice for me....But it still looks good. My venture into Indian food is roasted corn on the cob... ya, think about it for a minute :)

Jenny said...

This looks delicious. I think you could just cut back on the spice to make it more palatable for our palates!

I would definitely give this recipe a try. I'm kind of on a Vietnamese cooking kick right now! Perhaps Indian will be next!

Thanks for an informative (and delicious sounding) link this week.

A+

Total Pageviews