Thursday, September 8, 2011

U is for Unotsonice!

Jenny Matlock
 
U is for U.S. Airways... an airline I don't recall ever hearing about until I booked a flight to Texas a couple months ago to visit my brother.  Things didn't go as planned for Texas so I ended up exchanging those tickets for a flight to Vegas instead, from which I just returned on Sept 7th.  The trip was great but the flight there not so good.  We left for Vegas on Sept 1 at 8:50 p.m. and had a layover in Phoenix.  We were supposed to get into Vegas at Midnight but ended up not arriving until 4 a.m. due to the fact that we were stuck sitting on the plane at the Phoenix airport for 2 hours and then had to get off to wait another hour before boarding a different plane and finally heading to our destination.  It sucked and didn't give us any sort of compensation for it, just a glass of water if you wanted it after and hour and a half of being stuck on their plane.  You'd think they'd fork up some pretzels, peanuts, or something!  Geez!!
 
The flight back was at the butt crack of dawn, 6 a.m., and it went smoother.  We were able to upgrade to first class on the flight from Vegas to Phoenix but if U.S. Airway was a nicer airline they would have given us that for free rather than make us pay for it since we had the craptasitic trip to Vegas!  We had to also pay for any checked luggage, although not on the 1 first class upgrade... when you got money to fly that way you get your luggage checked for free. 
 
Now I don't fly a lot and I know a lot has changed since gas prices have gone up & all but come on.... after having us sit there all that time and some people missing connecting flights couldn't they at least let us check luggage for free or something???  Cheap skates! 
 
I will avoid U.S. Airways in the future should I be traveling anywhere that requires me to fly.... unless I figure out how to fly on my own although it may be hard to carry my luggage on my back as I fly... even if I do pay myself that extra luggage check fee!
 
 


10 Unleashed voices:

Lisa H. said...

Flying used to be much more enjoyable and I looked forward to boarding the airplane. But since 9/11 and higher gas prices and lower profitability, flying has become a chore.

Miss April said...

If you're near a place where Southwest flies - I would recommend them.

jen said...

New follower from Jenny Matlock. Nice to meet you.
As a Phoenix area resident, I wish I'd known you were attempting to fly US Airways before this post. It's ALWAYS like this. ALWAYS. I NEVER fly with them.
They suck. Period. Sorry for your inconvenience!

Dazee Dreamer said...

loved this post. I used to love to fly. But now, it is no fun anymore. do this, don't do that, bend over and cough, (lol)

I was going to indiana once and we had to sit on the plane because of some mechanical thing. We had the best flight attendant. My group was at the back of the plane, so he was giving us like the whole bag of peanuts bags and cookies and everything. It was great. Of course, that was pre 9-11 too so yeah.

Judie said...

I agree with Miss April on this. Southwest is the FUN airline!!

Birgit said...

Gosh, paying extra for luggage? I haven't been on a long distance for many years (prior to 9/11), so I know a lot has changed... Not to the better...

Greetings from Germany,
Birgit

PS: See my U post here! :)

Pondside said...

Alaska Airlines - they're still as good as they can be with all the challenges. If there's a delay, they make it up to you, and more important, their staff are all pleasant and helpful.

H said...

I hate to admit this, but I've never flown in an aeroplane. It's not that I'm scared (I've been up in a glider), but there has always been another cheaper way to get to where I needed to go. I guess we don't need aeroplanes the same way as you. We can just about drive from top to bottom of the UK in a day.

Jenny said...

What a rotten time for you! I'm sorry.

I don't know why they have to make it so miserable. Like you said, a bag of peanuts would have went a long way!

I hope your next trip is better!

Thanks for sharing your frustration with us here!

A+

Keri said...

That sounds awful. I'm not a fan of flying. Do they have a website where you can send an email complaint?

Total Pageviews