Wednesday, May 18, 2011

E is for Eggplant

Jenny Matlock
 

E is for Eggplant.  That's right my friends.  Those vegan's that don't eat eggs because they come from chickens now have the opportunity to eat those that come from a plant.  If you want to eat them any other way than fried then you must act fast before they bloom otherwise you'll just have to make due and chop them up or something so that you have something that may resemble scrambled.  You can send a bouquet to your mom for Mother's Day, heck even you dad would like one for Father's Day.  Teachers, friends, grandparents... well just about everyone would love them.  Because they bloom so quickly I can't really locate a good picture of a budding eggplant but here is what a blooming one looks like:
What's that you say?  That's not an eggplant??  What do you mean?  It looks like one to me.  I mean, come on... there's eggs on a plant.  Am I right?  Ok, so maybe that's what I used to think an eggplant was.  Alright, alright... it's still what I picture at the mere mention of the word:-)  Can you blame me?  I mean it makes sense doesn't it?  I almost rather eat them from a plant then coming out of a chicken cause that does sound a little nasty. 

When my bubble was so rudely busted and I was forced to believe that my idea of an eggplant was incorrect.  I had to ask myself... "Self, why is this called an eggplant?"

Now it may be shaped a little like an egg... I guess... if it were a Silly Putty egg.  It's not the color of an egg, the inside doesn't look like an egg and it definitely doesn't taste like an egg!  It is a lovely shade of purple however and that makes me want to like it cause it is my favorite color:-) 
I figure that somewhere along the line of eggplants there must be one that looks more like an egg than this more popular version.  So I did some hunting and I found the white eggplant and the Thai eggplant



Now back when the dream wrecker busted my bubble if they had showed me one of these and told me it was the real eggplant it would have made a little more sense.  I mean, the white eggplant still looks a little more silly than the normal egg and the Thai eggplant is a little rounder but the color is closer so I can get there.  However, my question then would have been... "Do these come outta chickens too?"







 


17 Unleashed voices:

Judie said...

I ADORE eggplant! It is a most versatile vegetable! The flavor has a slight bite to it, which I love, and it is great chopped fine for thickening a stew. Eggplant parmigiana is one of my favorite meals when we go out to eat Italian, but eggplant can be added to so many dishes! Try it! You won't be sorry!!

lissa said...

I like the eggplant's purple but not sure about the name either.

thanks for the chuckle. have a lovely day.

Annesphamily said...

We are eggplant nuts at my house! We have a recipe for soup that is low in calories and sodium and high in wonderful veggie power! Yummy! Plus eggplant is pretty and purple. Come see me soon. Happy Thursday! Anne

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love eggplant. My family doesn't. I bet if I make a casserole with it they won't know it is in it.

dlmsliceofpie said...

Great post ... love the plant! I also love eggplant. Ever grill it?
Thanks for sharing.

from my wicked ways to turning a phrase said...

truly need to remember to hold on to something when reading your free flowing intellect nicely written and great pics.

Betty (picture circa 1951) said...

I think I would prefer eating the ones from the first plant you showed. I like fried eggs a lot better than the traditional eggplant. I enjoyed your post.

Vicki aka Jake said...

Sauteed in butter...yummm! So, what came first, the egg or the plant :)

Dominique @Dominique's Desk said...

My kids love eggplant .. I normally fry them as tempura when we decide to have Japanese food for dinner.

Sue said...

Cute post!

I'd never seen white eggplant, either.

=)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love eggplant...

fried, baked, moussed..

Lola said...

Love eggplant too -great ‘E’ post!

Happy Alphabe-Thursday!

LOLA:)

Btw Alphabe-Thursday

Jenny said...

We love eggplant. I have some almost ready in the garden..yum! My favorite are the japanese ones, but I rarely say no to any! I do a yummy 'deconstructed' eggplant parmesan! Thinking about it makes me hungry.

Your post was really excellent this week! Loved the picture of the 'egg'plant!

A+

☆☆Mumsy said...

Love eggplant! Now I have to try the white ones.

the 'Trees said...

I love eggplant grilled, but would love to try other recipes with them. Yum!

aquariann said...

Cute post! I haven't eaten much eggplant in my life, but perhaps I'll give it another chance. ^.^

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog. I wish I could have seen that unicorn costume you mentioned!!

myorii said...

Hehe. Oh, you are too funny! I had to laugh out loud when I saw the picture of the Egg-plant! Wow, I can't believe someone actually made that! Too funny!

Ahem. As for the "real" eggplant, all I know is that my husband absolutely abhors them. He hates the taste and the texture just grosses him out. If there's a dish that has eggplants in them, he refuses to touch anything in it because it has eggplant mixed in. He's such a big baby :)

Total Pageviews