Thursday, April 28, 2011

X is for Xylocopa

 
 
Next time I'm gonna talk about some hot carpenters within their ear shot I'm going to refer to them as xylocopa.  If I keep the adjectives vague enough they will never figure it out!  Ok, I hope they won't cause who knows?  They may know that it's a carpenter bee and make the association;-)

That's right, xylocopa is the scientific name for carpenter bees.  Turns out these bees like to make their nests in dead wood and that's how they get their name.  Here is a picture and if you click on it you'll be brought to the page where it came from with all sorts of info on them:



Carpenters may be busy like bees but they don't work for pollen that's for sure!  Hopefully they aren't working with dead wood either but if they are then maybe you will also have an encounter with the real xylocopa;-)



5 Unleashed voices:

Lauracea said...

I just found you on the A-Z. Incredible we've been going all month and I never came across you. Brilliant X post. I love bees.

Stephen Tremp said...

I just learned something new today. I had never heard of this type of bee. Thanks!

N. R. Williams said...

I didn't know this. Great post.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Hart Johnson said...

Ha! totally had never heard of these, but mostly I like bees--you know... aiding in the creating most of what we eat (or should be eating, anyway)

Clarissa Draper said...

Bees are such amazing creatures so I'm not sure why I run when I see them.

Total Pageviews