Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Quatrefoil Watch

 
 
I once knew a poor little quat
who never made much of a quatch
I thought I could like her a lot
but it turned out she just liked my watch
 
On the back was a sweet quatint
of a beautiful quatrefoil
and it would sometimes leave an imprint
on your skin without any recoil
 
The quean l wanted to querken
as she grabbed my wrist and did querl
but with all that twisting and jerken
I managed to get away from the girl
 
I had a bruise for quatridual
but I'm not much of a querulist
and I still have my prized jewel
that remains with me on my wrist
 ©MDO


Today for the letter Q I wrote this quatrain type poem using some unusual words that begin with Q.  A quatrain is a 4 verse, rhyming stanza.  Below are the definitions of each Q word, taken from The Phrontistery, listed in the order of appearance:
Quat ~ a pimple, an insignificant person
Quatch ~ a word, a sound
Quatint ~ engraving using nitric acid (may have ruined the watch but I went with it... LOL)
Quatrefoil ~ four-petalled flower; design or ornament with four flowers or leaves 
Quean ~ lewd woman; hussy; woman of bad character
Querken ~ to stifle; to suffocate
Querl ~ to twist; to curl
Quatridual ~ lasting for four days
Querulist ~ one who complains

8 Unleashed voices:

Jenny said...

Wow! How super smart of you!

Fabulous!

Lisa said...

I love this. I'm a huge fan of learning and using new words. Thanks for teaching me some new words.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I too reward my feet with Sketchers. They are AWESOME.

Lisa
InspiredbyLisa

Rebekah Fonseca said...

Lol Good one!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You win for most Qs in one post!

Pam Torres said...

I so love QU words they're just fun to say. Cool words!

Arlee Bird said...

Those are some very unusual 'Q' words. Good research and creative use of those words.


Hope you join us in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post on Monday May 2nd.
Lee

Nate Wilson said...

Fantastic! Very very queeative.(Certainly more so than this comment, for which I must apologize. Your poem deserves far better.)

Anonymous said...

Не that spares the bad injures the good.

Total Pageviews