Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Spotted Skunks

So, the did you know fact today says:

Spotted skunks do handstands before they spray.

I figured at least they give you a little trick before they treat you! I found it a little funny so I had to read more on these critters. Thought I'd share a little of what I found in good old Wiki.

Spotted skunks protect themselves by spraying a strong and unpleasant scent. Two glands on the sides of the anus release the odorous oil through nipples. When threatened, the skunk turns its body into a U-shape with the head and anus facing the attacker. Muscles around the nipples of the scent gland aim them, giving the skunk great accuracy on targets up to 15 feet away. As a warning before spraying, the skunk stamps its front feet, raises its tail, and hisses. They may warn with a unique "hand stand"—the back vertical and the tail waving. Skunks store about 1 tablespoon (15 g) of the oderous oil and can quickly spray five times in row. It takes about one week to replenish the oil.

Ok, maybe it's cause I just saw Iron Man the other day or maybe I'm just wierd but does anyone else see a pretty awesome comic villian here... or heroine even????
I totally pictured some chic in a black & white striped cat suit assuming position to spray her target. Ok, so I can be a little strange I know it but come on... if you like the comic stuff you can totally see it too. Just admit it, no one will know:-)

Spotted Skunk defensive posturing (handstanding)

It's sort of cute isn't it? Now I'll be thinking of my new comic book story all night long, way to go Melanie!! I already have the idea of how the chic stumbles across the spotted skunk & becomes the next comic legend... move over Cat Woman!!!!

0 Unleashed voices:

Total Pageviews