Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Vacuum Nemesis



Today was the day to clean up Tangelo's cage and his mess around the cage. Before I can clean though I have to spend quality time figuring out where the Dyson is clogged! Searching, all the nooks and crannies for the clog is like looking for a needle in a haystack so I get a little frustrated with that. Once I do clear it out though, that vacuum works like a dream! The problem is that as soon as I pull it out Tangelo gets a little restless. It's kinda funny cause he starts pacing around in a circle in his cage and hissing. If I try to let him come out, while I'm hunting and pecking for clogs, he just isn't having it. Any other time, he is out of his cage and partying like a rock star but not when his nemesis is in sight! Once I flip the switch on the vacuum and it's doing its job, it's like a flip is switched on Tangelo too. He moves up to the perches in his cage and the squawking begins or he goes to his water dish and starts scooping it up and throwing it around. His water play reminds me of some worship ritual or something that I seen once in a bird program on the Discovery Channel. In the time it takes me to finish vacuuming he will usually have his water bowl emptied out if I don't take it from him.

I never really thought about why he didn't like it cause I just assumed it was the noise but then I thought back to his earlier years and for about the first 5 years or so he never seemed to have an issue with it. So I thought maybe it was cause it was the Phantom vacuum back then. Call me silly but he's smart, he knows the differenceJ I still have the old Phantom so I pulled it out to see and nope, that one just made him a little crazier. Then it struck me, it was an incident with the Phantom about 10 years ago that caused his dislike for vacuums! It all leads back to that fateful day when I was a bad cockatoo friend and Tangelo, much like Adam and Eve, gave into temptation.

Cockatoos love to play finders keepers, getting their claws and beaks on anything they can. Just like a baby the first thing they do is put it in their mouth leaving the losers weepersJ On this fateful day I was vacuuming and then, for whatever reason, I stopped to do something else. I left the vacuum plugged in and at the time the only available plug was by his cage. Next thing I know I hear this THUD! It sounded like a good sized rock was dropped onto the floor. I didn't know if I should duck and cover or what. I decided to go into the living room, which was the main room of the house I lived in at the time, and everything looked fine until…. I notice Tangelo was lying on the cage floor!! I was a little freaked cause cockatoos are always on their feet, they do not lie down ever. What the heck happened??? Was he dead??? I walked over and that was the moment of truth! The closer I got the clearer things became. He had gotten his little claws on the vacuum cord! Yeah, it was within his reach when he played Stretch Armstrong and reached past his cage bars to grab onto the snakelike temptation of the vacuum cord. Once he got it, straight to the mouth it went and he practically gnawed it in half! The cord was still pulled into the cage and he had, what appeared to be, powder burn marks all around his beak.

Tangelo didn't look like he was breathing and he definitely wasn't moving. I was just praying that he wasn't dead. It seemed like forever but it was probably only about a minute that had gone by when Tangelo popped up and made his way up to his swing like nothing happened. It was time to break out the special treats to try to relieve my guilt, fresh sugar cane. I kept it wrapped in plastic wrap so as soon as he heard the unwrapping crinkle he got excited and you would never know that he had almost bid life adieu. To this day, he gets nervous whenever any vacuum is in his sights. I can't say that I really blame him now that I have smartened up enough to link it all together!! Sometimes I need to search the lost and found for my brain I guess or I just blame it on the full moon people say it makes ya crazyJ








Photobucket

Week 31 Topic: That was the moment of truth...
bonus points
(hard, 2 points): Incorporate wrapping something in plastic wrap.
(easy, 1 point): Use an outdated greeting.
Final day to post: Oct. 6th, midnight GMT.

2 Unleashed voices:

spiritedlmo said...

that is a funny story!
I think that you should know that your dumbass brother has a similar story. As we were settling in here, Jeff was trying to hook the dryer up and he did not hook the wires up correctly.He touched the washer and dryer at the same time. He shook, his eyes popped out and he made the craziest noise he has ever made. Yup, 240 volts went straight through him and he officially electrocuted himself. Shortly afterward, he went to Lowes and got some professional help on how to do it the right way to prevent a tragic accident.

upinthecosmos said...

OMG, I totally picure a cartoon!! Sounds like something my dad would have done... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree;-)

Total Pageviews